Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Rainbow Chard, Cannellini and Tuna Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette



I don't know why I struggle to come up with interesting salads. I am an oddball in that I truly enjoy a plate full of leafy greens studded with sweet and savory surprises, all glistening in a light toss of dressing. Going out to restaurant and perusing the likes of Pinterest and Foodgawker, I am in awe and inspired. But then when it comes to making up my lunch, I flounder.

Thankfully, our CSA is pushing me to experiment more with leafy green such as kale and chard, which I typically do not buy the rest of the year.  I'm quickly learning that these hearty greens can stand up to much more substantial toppings. And that leads to a much more satisfying meal. Added perk? These greens don't easily become soggy in the face of dressing, making them an ideal candidate for a salad to serve at a picnic or a potluck, where food has a tendency to sit longer than we'd all like to admit.

adapted from Kitchen Riffs

serves 3-4

The Ingredients
1 bunch  (about 4 oz) rainbow chard, stems removed and leaves chopped
2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
2-3 Tbsp fresh dill, coarsely chopped
1 roma tomato, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise
1 - 15 oz can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 - 5 oz cans of tuna, drained
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp capers
salt and pepper to taste

The Process
 In a large bowl, combine the chard, green  onion, dill, tomato, beans and tuna.

Whisk together the oil, vinegar, and capers. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Drizzle vinaigrette over salad and gently toss to coat.



No comments:

Post a Comment