Saturday, June 1, 2013

Banana Beer Bread



Yard work is futile today.  The sun teased me for about an hour before the dark clouds rolled in and the downpours began.  At this rate, I may never get our front yard redone and our trees planted.  But at least a good chunk of weeds are gone.

So now that I've been forced indoors, what better to do than whip up some banana bread with those three gloriously be-speckled bananas starring at me forlornly from the corner.  It may be a bit too late for breakfast, but it may make up for the lacking of grilling this evening, should the rain decide to not move along.

The banana recipe base is one I've been using for years courtesy of my sister.  I have no idea where the original came from.  I did increase the flour to accommodate the extra liquid, as well as decrease the sugar from the original.  I like my banana bread extra fruity, so in went another banana.  And for an added twist, the pan is dusted with a 50/50 blend of flour and dry malt extract.   If you do not have access to malt extract, all-purpose flour works as well.

I used Lakefront Brewing Company's Wheat Monkey.  It only seemed appropriate.

adapted from my sister's beer-less banana bread recipe.
yeilds 1 loaf

The Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 overripe bananas

The Process:
Preheat the oven to 350.  Generously grease a 9x5 loaf pan and dust with a 50/50 blend of flour and dry malt extract.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.  In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until fluffy.  Beat in the egg, one at a time, until well incorporated.  Mash in the in the bananas.

Fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until the flour is just moistened.  Stir in the beer.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow to cool for about 15 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan.

1 comment:

  1. Uhh yes please! Sounds incredible, delicious recipe :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete