Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bobby Flay's Creamy Coleslaw

Coleslaw is tricky for a crowd.  Everybody has their favorite.  Sometimes it's a vinegar base.  Some prefer a creamy dressing.  Traditional green cabbage?  Or a cacophony of color with purple cabbage and carrots?  How about a touch of fennel for that slight anise touch?  Shredded or chopped?

So many options!  There is no way to please them all.  So what do I do in times like this?  Make something I want.  After all, I will be the one stuck with any leftovers after the picnic or potluck is over.

My favorite?  Creamy classic cabbage slaws with just of bit of carrots for color.  I prefer my veggies shredded...chopped salads seem to get too soggy too quickly.  The favorite coleslaws of my youth were KFC (of all places...a rare treat in our family) and my mom's.  I don't have either recipe, but this one from Bobby Flay hit that nostalgic flavor high.

I blame the celery salt...

adapted from Bobby Flay's recipe at foodnetwork.com

The Ingredients:
1 medium green cabbage, finely shredded
2 large carrots, finely shredded
1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced (optional)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp sour cream
2 Tbsp onion, grated
2 Tbsp sugar, or to taste
2 Tbsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp dry mustard
2 tsp celery salt
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste


The Process:
Combine the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. In a separat4e medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard and celery salt.  Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat.  Add more salt, pepper, or sugar to taste,  if desired.

The Review:
I suspect one reason coleslaw remains so popular at picnics is the ease with which the dish comes together and the relatively low cost for a huge amount of salad.  I'm guilty for making it on both accounts.

We had a beautiful head of cabbage in our CSA box this week.  And the temperatures had been for too warm to warrant cooking with it.  This slaw was cool and refreshing...bonus points for not being overly dressed, either.  Nothing seems to ruin a good cabbage as much as a soupy slaw.  Two days later, while the colors were not as vibrant, the coleslaw still packed plenty of crunch.

And I do truly maintain that the key to this recipe is the celery salt.  Most people couldn't quite place it, but once they knew, it made perfect sense.

1 comment:

  1. When I saw your post title I was very interested to see what Bobby Flay's recipe would be compared to mine. Turns out it's pretty similar. I don't like fennel but otherwise I make mine almost the same way. The celery salt is interesting, though. I have some in the pantry so I'll give that a try for my next batch.

    ReplyDelete