Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup

The time has come to purge the fridge and pantry again...my cabinets are perpetually stocked with broths, beans, chilies and tomatoes.  Coupled with the oddball tidbits of vegetables that fall between the cracks mid-week, I usually have the fixings for some amazing soups and chilis.  As the weather becomes warmer, soups, stews, chilis and chowders will become far more rare.  This hearty vegan dish sends them off in style.  Until the fall, of course.

the recipe is my own

serves 6-8

The Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic,  minced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 small carrots,diced
1 can green chilies
1 can stewed tomatoes (15 oz)
2 cans black beans (15 oz each), drained and rinsed
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 cups water or vegetable stock
1/2 tsp cumin
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt

The Process:
Combine all of the ingredients in a large stockpot over medium high heat.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 2-3 hours or until the sweet potato is soft and the black beans are tender.  Gently mash or puree if desired.

The Review:
I'm not sure why, but the combination of sweet potato and black beans is fast becoming a favorite.  I'll be making this again.  Once I finish up the leftovers I had to stash in the freezer...

No comments:

Post a Comment