Saturday, September 24, 2011

Oven Roasted Radishes


Sometimes the simplest preparation creates the most amazing dishes. Case in point: oven roasted radishes. I often ignore these adorable bright red bulbs because their bite is just too much for my everyday salad. But after coming across an article about spring veggies, I decided to try a different approach.

Loosely based on an article in Bon Appetit, April 2011

serves 4

The Ingredients:
2 bunches of radishes, any variety
1 Tbsp olive oil
kosher salt to taste
The Process:
Preheat oven to 450.

Thoroughly wash the radishes. Cut of the tops, leaving approximatley 1 inch behind. Reserve the greens. Slice the radishes in half lengthwise and toss to coat with olive oil.

Arrange radishes cut side down in a single layer in a heavy baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Roast, uncovered, for 15-18 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Remove radishes to a serving bowl and keep warm. Coarsely chop about 1/2 cup of the reserved radish tops and toss with roasted radishes. Server immediately.

The Review:
I have always detected the slight similarity between radishes and turnips. It wasn't until I tried roasting the tiny red orbs that their sweetness came out the relationship became obvious. I absolutely adored this preparation. Unfortunately, my turnip loving partner...who is averse to radishes, was unable to try them in their new form. I had ended up eating the entire batch for dinner by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment