Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Carolina red slaw


Lexington, Carolina apparently is known for a very perculiar cole slaw...one made with vingeary-ketchup base instead the more familiar cream or vinegar bases served elsewhere in the states. I have never been to North Carolina, so I have no basis to compare this slaw recipe too. However, a friend was hosting a "goodbye to summer" BBQ with slow smoked, Carolina style BBQ pork and specifically requested this red slaw. So I obliged.

The recipe below is for approximately 1 lb of cabbage. My cabbage head was closer to three...so I've adjusted the ingredients list accordingly, below.

adapted from a recipe at Slashfood.com

Makes a boat load

The Ingredients:
1 medium cabbage, rinsed, cored and quartered
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or more to taste

The Process:
In a food processor or by hand, finely chop the cabbage. Place cabbage in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together ketchup, sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Adjust seasoning as needed. Pour dressing over cabbage and toss to coat. Chill, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour -- preferably longer to allow flavors to blend.

The Review:
As as said before, I have never tried Carolina red slaw, so I have absolutely no comparison. Our hosts, who have tried the slaw before enjoyed my concoction, though they did say they have yet to find anything remotely similar to the real deal that they have enjoyed in North Carolina.

As for myself. I enjoyed it, though I think I prefer my slaws to be cream based. And none of the sides at the BBQ could hold a candle to the amazing, slow smoked pulled pork that our hosts spend over 12 hours preparing. Who really need sauce or slaw when you have meat as smokey, flavorful and tender as that?

No comments:

Post a Comment