Saturday, January 8, 2011

A New Year's Resolution

I love to cook. I love to eat. I love to try out new things.

With that in mind I've decided to attempt a new recipe or cooking technique each week in this new year, and document my culinary adventures. Given my inclination to cook most of my meals, this may be a weak resolution. After today's grocery trip, I already have five new recipes lined up for the next week and a half.

The ultimate goal is to try 100 new recipes in the coming year.

One of the challenges I will undoubtedly encounter will be adapting certain meals or recipes for various obstacles. Several food restrictions (including wheat allergies, food sensitivities triggered by medications and diabetes) are found among my co-workers. Finding treats to accommodate everyone is no easy task. But my co-workers are more than happy to share their own recipes and substitutions. Picky eaters as house guests provide a challenge all their own. While I abhor changing plans to accommodate one person, sometimes such an accommodation can lead to new and exciting discoveries. A few friends steer clear of meats, prompting me to search for alternatives to animal protein beyond tofu. And often I find myself returning to phase one and two of the South Beach. The strict limitations on fruits, carbs and sugars during these early phases have lead to the creation of new favorites to add to our meal routines, as well as a much healthier outlook on what we prepare and how we prepare it.

So perhaps these situations should not be perceived as challenges so much as opportunities to expand my culinary prowess.

Thank you for joining me on this journey.

Carpe Cibus!

No comments:

Post a Comment